Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What A Weekend!



What can I say? Another incredibly entertaining weekend with everything from upsets(cheers blackpool) to goalkeeper calamities. As for my predictions, I went 6/10 which is fine in terms of betting and this post will be dedicated to recapping matches every week. So here's a quick recap of all of the matches starting with the ones I got right.

CORRECT PREDICTIONS:


Tottenham VS Manchester City
Predicted Outcome: 1-1
Actual Outcome: 0:0
This match ended just as I assumed with a draw as both teams quality wise were very evenly matched but it ended because of Hart pulling saves out of nowhere. Either way, this was my first correct pick.

Aston Villa VS West Ham
Predicted Outcome: 2-1
Actual Outcome: 3-0
This match shocked me a little bit, but not because Milner was starting. For Villa to come out and smash a West Ham team with losing their manager days before the game I assumed a much closer match, but this was mostly due to West Ham being absolute garbage. West Ham will be struggling to avoid relegation this year if they do not improve immediately.

Sunderland VS Birmingham City
Predicted Outcome: 1-1
Actual Outcome: 2-2
This match went to plan as both teams I never thought really were going to keep a clean sheet with Birmingham nowhere near as good as their previous season in the PL suggested and Sunderland with a backup goalkeeper. Sunderland should have run out comfortable winners in truth but that's football.

Chelsea VS West Brom
Predicted Outcome: 5-0
Actual Outcome: 6-0
Exactly what I expected, late last minute goal cost me the perfect outcome but that isn't a big deal. Chelsea look like they have picked up right where they left off, and West Brom will be relegation candidates as well.

Manchester Utd VS Newcastle
Predicted Outcome: 3-1
Actual Outcome: 3-0
Again, just about what I expected with Andy Carrol costing me my perfect outcome. His missed header was the one of those chances I knew Newcastle would get and maybe save some face but unfortunately, it went a little wide. Man Utd. Always had the quality to score around 3 but probably not more than that.

Liverpool VS Arsenal
Predicted Outcome: 2-2
Actual Outcome: 1-1
This match ended in a draw as I expected and I assumed both teams had enough quality going forward to score at least 1 goal a piece and that happened but in fortuitous circumstances. Now the wrong predictions :(

INCORRECT PREDICTIONS:

Blackburn VS Everton
Predicted Outcome: 1-2
Actual Outcome: 1-0
Im not too upset about getting this wrong as I had it down as a 1 goal differance, but Everton's lack of cutting edge just reinforces the fact that The Toffees need to do something about their forward line. Not much else in an incredibly dull match.


Bolton VS Fulham
Predicted Outcome: 2-0
Actual Outcome: 0-0
THIS game I was disappointed by. Fulham are a notoriously bad road team but credit to Mark Hughes for preparing them well for the 0-0. Bolton's lack of creativity in attack irked me with 2 skillful wing players in Petrov and Chung-Yong Lee not being able to break the deadlock.


Wolverhampton VS Stoke
Predicted Outcome: 1-1
Actual Outcome: 2-0
A surprise here, as Wolves seem to have found players who can score them goals this year and I think will be safe for another year in the Premiership while Stoke are getting worse and worse on the road. I feel Stoke could've drawn the match if Kenwye Jones didn't get hurt so early but what can you do.

Wigan Athletic VS Blackpool
Predicted Outcome: 3-1
Actual Outcome: 0-4
The shock of the season in only the opening weekend. What a game from Blackpool to play beautiful attacking game going forward with their entire team. I assumed Wigan could control the game with their quality from midfield/strikers but their defending is what has done them in again and they have easily become the worst defensive team in the league after losing Bramble to Sunderland.

4 comments:

  1. good job Dave! which match did you put the most $$$ on??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everton, I lost 12 bucks in total this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when the teams went your prediction but not the exact score, you still considered them as correct?? Does that mean u placed a few bets on a few scores?? perhaps you can share your experiences?? like for eg. i placed 4-0,5-0 so was really gutted when malouda scored in the last min :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I consider matches i chose correctly as winners because when i say its going to be a draw or win i bet the realistic situations. For example, if I say its a draw, I will bet on 0-0 1-1 and 2-2 as draws because rarely do you see a 3-3 game.

    ReplyDelete