Saturday, July 10, 2010

For Beginners


Hello again, please visit my first post if you havent already to get a feel of what this blog is about. Maxer made a good point in the comments section and I decided I would write a post for beginners to try to explain as much as possible to help get you comfortable. So let's get started.

Firstly, do your research if you will be using another betting site other than SkyBet so you know your money is safe, but I will only be referring to Sky throughout the season so I would suggest sticking with them. To register, there is a link in the top left which says register and the process is as straight forward as can be, not to mention they have wonderful customer service if you ever get confused along the way.

Second, odds can be a little overwhelming at first but once you see what everything means it becomes much easier understand so here is a little "dictionary" of what each number/phrase means in terms of betting.

Stake: This is the amount of money you are putting down to place a bet.

Punter: That's us! This simply means the person placing the bets.

Fractional Odds i.e. 2/9: Odds described in this way are the simplest to understand and my favorite. The number on the right is the amount you need to bet in order to win the amount on the left. So in this instance, if I bet 9 dollars, I win 2 plus my original stake back so I would get 11 dollars back in total if I win my bet. Ideally, you always want a bigger number on the left than on the right so your winning bet will actually make you a decent return.

Decimal Odds i.e. 6.00: Odds described in this way are still simple but the choice of which to use comes down to personal preference. Odds of 6.00 is converted into 5/1 but both mean the same thing. Referring to the fraction odds, if I bet 1 dollar, I would win 5 and then my original stake back as well, meaning 6 dollars total, but with decimal it tells you exactly how much you receive for a 1 dollar bet being correct. For example, 6.00 odds means if I bet 1 dollar I win 6 in total if I am correct with my wager. Simple enough?

The are plenty more terms in betting than I could fit in a post on here, so I refer you guys to visit this website as a source for terms if you ever do not understand a term.

I hope this helps all of you to get started and more comfortable in the world of sports betting. Cheers for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment